You will find the world's largest pool in the city of Alagarrobo in Chile. This jewel of a pool is featured at the San Alfonso Del Mar hotel and resort and holds the Guinness Record for the world's largest swimming pool! How many laps do you think you can do?
Here are some of the facts:
* It's 8 hectares in surface area or the equivalent of 6,000 standard-size 8-metre- long swimming pools.
* It easily dwarfs the next biggest pool - the Orthlieb in Casablanca, Morocco - which measures 150m x 100m.
* The lagoon's water temperature in summer is 26C, nine degrees warmer than the ocean it sits alongside.
* Its waters are transparent to a depth of 35 metres.
* It cost approximately US$3.5 million to build and
the maintenance cost is low, the equivalent of 1/4 of a golf course (18 holes) only!
* The pool fills itself with 250,000 cubic meters of water from the Pacific ("which filters itself")
The biochemist and businessman Fernando Fischmann, is the brain behind Crystal Lagoons Corporation, the company that designed the enormous pool. According to Fischmann, the lagoon employs cutting-edge technology that allows it to harvest, filter and permanently recirculate ocean water. "Companies are keen to take advantage of the way lagoons form "impressive artificial paradises, even in inhospitable areas" he explains.